The Smell After Rain | Things We Didn't Think Had Names

17:03 Unknown 0 Comments

Ahoy!

I have just realised how book-centred my blog has been and that it is not how I want it to be! I wanted it to be a nice mix of things because I appreciate that not everyone has the same interests as me and so I am doing something different for this weeks blog! 

Did you know that the lovely, earthy smell after it has rained is called petrichor? It has a name! I thought it was just one of those things that didn't have a name - it was just... there. Turns out I was wrong. 

This got me thinking about the other things that we didn't think had a name. I researched them and now... I have listed of some of my favourites!


Aglets
The plastic or metal bits at the end of your shoelaces



Barm
The foam on top of beer

Muntin
The strip that separates window panes



Arms Akimbo
When you (or someone else) has your/their hands on your/their hips





Semantic Satiation
When a word is said so much, it loses meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning meaning.. meaning... meaning. Meaning. 


Zarf
The cardboard cupholders you get in coffee shops so you don't burn yourself



Nevus
A birthmark


And finally because here at TheDonkeyInvasion we love donkeys...


Pass of Asses
A group of donkeys!


Do you know any more? Then please let me know in the comments!

0 comments:

I solemnly swear that I will reply to all comments!